prairie dog,
Don't fight the snow - let it work for you. An approaching storm gets them up and feeding all day sometimes. Get some aluminum snowshoes and stout walking sticks with snow cups on the bottom. Glass at sunup if you dont' know the country or just trying to spot a herd and get a pattern of two established. Once spotted, make a plan to use the wind and cover. At very early dawn, they will be out in the open pawing through the snow to get to the grass. If no one bothers them, they will eat, bed, get up and eat again. If they get pushed or just want some more security the cow will take 'em up the mountain to a bedding spot. Unless you know that area intimately, leave 'em alone and set up for the afternoon migration down to the same grazing area. Plan for the wind and get into cover that gives you options to adjust your position. I bring at least a large pack with clothing options to maintain my comfort. Sometimes a stove to make some coffee and a freeze-dried meal. I hunt alone now so take precautions to be safe and have a charged cell phone.
Its the best big game hunt in the lower 48 other than a good grouse dog in northern Minnesota.

Looking forward to my 20th season in northern NM if I can get away in late Jan.. Too bad its a liberal State...............

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/13/19.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.