Originally Posted by Tarquin
Is it really that much fun?

I would think if you have to ask that question it prob'ly ain't for you.

Up until recent years there was a steady stream of motorcycle fatalities locally; guys in their fifties and up who had got into Harleys and whatnot as midlife crisis/retirement toys. That is less often now as the Boomer demographic is fading.

You didn't have to look very hard nationwide to find cases of those guys who had killed or crippled their wives in motorcycle wrecks either.

I was an eccentric, after getting back from Africa in my late twenties I didn't own a car myself until age 44, before then a motorcycle was my only transportation, 250,000 miles total, was all over the US. Long distances with women on the back.

Its been nine years since I crossed the US on a motorcycle. There's another one in my future but I'll ride it for a good while before I'd presume to carry a passenger on the back.

You started out on dirt bikes, that's a plus, but ride an 800lb behemoth for at least a season before riding the Missus on the back.

JMHO

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744