I have been to Kansas in January twice... both times the experience was just super.... That being said, I only killed one bird per trip... but, the quality of the hunt was fantastic. It was January and Kansas weather beets Wisconsin weather any day of the week... I did see quail each day I hunted... found some really wild country amongst the farm land... saw LOTS of deer each day... some just monster bucks... ran into all kinds of other wild life like badgers and wood chucks and the like... lots of bunnies... The western prairie is just a magical place.

A few things to consider...

It will be warm weather compared to where you are coming from... lots of water for the dog.

Sand burrs are no joke and will stop the dog in his tracks when he encounters them... they suck. Dog boots if you can get them to work.

Be very careful with fire, it will be dry, very dry.

After 3 days of hunting, odds are... your dog will not want to get out of the truck. So plan for a 4 days or less of actual hunting.

Bring your binoculars

You will see birds... all will be wild birds and will flush long before you can get close... but one or two will be sleeping in and will give you a chance to kill them. Don't be discouraged...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.