Originally Posted by Spotshooter
From the things I learned from gunsmithing training / starting my gunsmithing shop

Things to think about with metal work..

1) Do you want a custom reamer ? - that’s going to take extra time (3-8 months).
2). Are you having a barrel made vs. buying off the shelf - This can add considerable time.

IF... you are going the custom barrel and custom reamer direction - order them, get them in hand, and get them to your smith...

A Few things to be careful off...

A). The DIAMETER of the barrel Shank matching the Action (don’t get one that is way too big)...
Turning the barrel after the fact can add stress too it, so it’s best to have it made to size if you can, if it’s big it “CAN” look weird

B). IF you are thinking about putting on a muzzle break, get a cut rifle vs. button rifle barrel.. ESPECIALLY for hunting rifles
Button rifled barrels have compression stress in them, and when you remove the metal to thread the end of the barrel it bells out which can easily cause accuracy issues.
Cut rifle barrels don’t have that stress so they don’t bell out.

Your statement about cut vrs button is completely false.
A " PROPERLY" stressed relieved button barrel doesnt have anymore than a cut one does.
Case in point, the smallest group I've ever shot was .078 with a button barrel that has a muzzle break and fluted.