Take it or leave it, but here are my observations. I used to be all about night sights and put them on every handgun I owned that ever got in my rotation of defensive guns and the gun I carried on duty. I still have them on my duty gun because policy requires them. I use Ameriglo “Spartan Tactical” sights because the rear vials have no paint around them and the sight looks black otherwise with a big orange front sight. They are also lower profile than Trijicon HDs, which are my next favorite.

When bright LED flashlights and weapon lights with 300+ lumens came out, I started to realize they wash out night sights. But, you get a great outline, so it didn’t effect my shooting. I them tried a fiber optic front with black rear sight and was amazed how well that jumps out at you when using a bright flashlight or weapon light. My personal guns now have that configuration.

My edc light was an older incandescent Surefire Aviator which didn’t wash out my sights as bad. Now I edc a Streamlight Protac 1L and duty carry that and a couple Surefire G2zx “Combat Lights”, with Surefire X300U-B lights on my duty gun and house gun.