Hi. I recently gave in to the 6.5 Cr craze and purchased a new, Ruger Hawkeye FTW in 6.5 Cr. It's not really my first choice in calibers but I'm a lefty and wanted a higher end, longer range left hand bolt to add to the stable. I topped it with a Leupold Var-X 3i 4.5-14. Out of the box, the factory trigger is nearly 4# but I figured I can work with that later - at least it's rather crisp.

I proceeded to break in the barrel by shooting 20 rounds with a thorough bore cleaning and Kroil treatment between rounds. Same treatment was given after 8 more, 5 shot break-ins. Total round count is 60 rounds.

Then, I fired 4, 5-shot groups using four different factory rounds from 125 to 140 grains. Barrel was cleaned in a similar fashion after each group.

Accuracy from the 100 bench was dismal. Best group was nearly 1.75" center-to-center with Rem 140 PSPCL.

I obviously checked bedding screws, ring screws, etc.

Who owns a similar rig?

What kind of accuracy are you experiencing?

Does this rifle need a longer break-in period?

I am very disappointed. I realize this is not a custom rifle, but it's touted as Ruger's high end factory "instant classic". My wife's $325 Savage Axis compact shoots nearly 1 MOA with factory ammo and I only used a 20 round barrel break-in.

I purchased 200 Lapua cases, Berger 140 bullets and new dies but I am a little hesitant to even start handloading if this is what I can expect for performance.

Thanks. DJB