Originally Posted by castnblast
The European CIP standard chamber dimensions call for a very long throat, and a fast rifling twist. Both are made for long for caliber, heavy bullets. Many 7x57 rifles shoot better with heavy long bullets because that's what they are designed for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my limited understanding, hunters in the Southern USA typically hunt small whitetail deer and hogs. Neither require heavy bullets. I hunt in Canada, where I may use my 7x57 to hunt a variety of game. Our whitetails can weigh twice as much as a southern USA deer, and moose might weigh four of six times that. So heavy bullets make sense here, but where you are, not so much. If your rile will shoot 140's accurately, there is no good reason not to use them for your local hunting. I personally avoid such light bullets because my rifle doesn't shoot them quite as well and they are not a good match for the game where I hunt.

This all makes sense and I agree. An interesting note in deer sizes though. I killed a buck two years ago that field dressed 250. That’s a giant but still.....the 3.5 year olds usually go 150-170 field dressed. What’s the sizes up there?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]