I'm not from Virginia but am living here at least for the next couple years. I'll be impacted by the assault weapons ban, if passed which at this point, I think will likely happen. The lunatics now in charge of the legislative process here are totally unphased by the groundswell of gun rights supporters. I think they have no intention of bending, probably because they know that in the end, the courts will fail to act and that the demographics have shifted in the state enough such that the republicans will never hold all three branches of the state government. Yeah, they *might* pay a small price in the next election but not enough to threaten passed legislation and like all liberals, they're in it for the long game anyways.

According to Wikipedia, there are seven other states and the District of Columbia, that have assault weapons bans, California being the first having enacted theirs in 1989. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapons_legislation_in_the_United_States

Here are some questions for those of you with personal experiences with these state bans. What happened to the banned firearms in your state once the laws were enacted? i.e. did you have to sell them, move them out of state, turn them in? Was there a similar large-scale reaction like here in Virginia? What was the experience like IMMEDIATELY AFTER the ban was enacted?

The breadth of the ban that’s being proposed in Virginia and the literal millions of firearms it will make illegal, is simply mind boggling to me. If the legislation is passed, I think we’re all going to hear Virginia howl as they attempt to enforce compliance. There will be protests, we’ll hear about legal battles in the news, etc…. I think the defiance will be loud and last for some time.

I don’t recall hearing as much protest when other states enacted bans. Did the citizens in those states just go quietly complaint (quietly relative to the reaction in Virginia)?

You don’t have to be a gun guy in Virginia to know chit is about to get real here. You can feel it everywhere. There is a tension across the state like I’ve personally never observed before and I just don’t recall seeing or hearing about that same type of reaction in states with bans, particularly after the bans were enacted, which surprises me.

Last edited by copperking81; 01/11/20.