I was at a political get together for a potential new Senator for Wyoming in the late 1980’s.....wolves were a hot topic at the meeting. An old, retired Wyo. Game Warden told of the feds introducing wolves into the Wyoming Range during the late ‘60’s ( I think) , north of Kemmerer. The warden was involved......against his wishes. This was supposed to be kept quiet. I had heard about this earlier from a couple of locals. Now, I had heard it from someone that was there!

North of Kemmerer, in 1990 (I think), I was putting bear baits in. I was pretty far into the NF, and spent the day walking the area.....sometimes walking across snow fields, sometimes in southern exposed, thawed areas with a lot of mud. I started seeing very large, fresh canine tracks. No one had been in this area since last fall, so dog tracks ( perhaps from a sheep herders lost Pyrenees) was very unlikely! The tracks were greater than 4” across the pad marks. This made me a believer in what the old game warden had said a few years earlier! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024