Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[quote=pete53] I'd run the 77gr sierra TMK and not look back..

I'm curious as to why you'd recommend a bullet at the top of the weight scale for .223, and more built for deer sized game for coyotes?

I have punched holes through coyotes with heavier, sturdier constructed bullets, and had them run like winged Pegasus more times than not.

From years of killing 300 plus coyotes a year, I'm in very good company when I say that probably the best coyote killer out there is a 55 or 60 grain V-Max. Usually no exit on a coyotes as well. Vast majority of them fall right where you shoot them.

In my opinion, using a heavy bullet in a .223 would be defeating the purpose.

I used to live in Nevada. I've killed truckloads of yotes with a 22lr, shotgun, and even bow and arrow. I chose the 77TMK for its longrange effectiveness on yotes. Even though you can call them in close enough to sniff you hand at times. Thats where a shotgun comes in handy.... If you really want to get down to brass tacks, I'd chose a 22 magnum with 50gr federal JHP for quick kills and saving the pelts for my friends. In nevada, I would not save the pelts. Here my friend takes them to the fur trader in Burns or Idaho. He stretches pelts. I don't mess with them... To answer your question, damn near anything works on yotes. I've killed them with my 338wm. Did I get a complete pass thru? Hell yes... Did I save the pelt? Hell no... Hope that helps..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA