I live in a very safe neighborhood and don't feel the need to carry a loaded gun or have one around. I have very smart inquisitive grand kids, for one thing.

OTOH, I used to manage a plant in a very bad neighborhood. Bad guys would break into our parking lot, bust open cars, and steal radios. We caught several of them. Some didn't fear handguns and would just run away but point a 12 gauge at them, and they'd often do what you wanted. If they ran away, you could shout "Shoot to kill" and fire the shotgun up in the air (pellets not lethal when they come down). That would get around the hood.

You know that phrase about big city cops that goes "only minutes away when seconds count?" One time I held a kid at gunpoint for one hour and 21 minutes AFTER the cops were called. Another time a kid walked in the front door and held up the receptionist. My father came out of his office and handed the guy 1-1/4 ounce of #6 shot at 1200 fps. The cops stopped by later and gave us some 00 buckshot. Never had to actually shoot any others.

Whenever we got one, the word got around the hood and we were safe for a long time. Without the right to keep and bear arms, our plant could not have survived. All that happened years ago and we're lucky we didn't get harmed by any perps.

Eventually we moved the plant to the suburbs. I kept a S&W Model 19 in my desk in case anyone went "postal."

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.