I’m looking for knowledge.
I have 9 Winchester’s calibers I have collected and displayed, all unfired and received in original Box.
Calibers range from 410ga to most of the smaller calibers running through 44mag & 357mag. I also bought new guns to shoot in calibers I enjoy at the same time, namely
45 Colt, 32 Special and 22 magnum. The serial numbers have them being built in the range of 1992-2005.
I’m far from rough with these “shooters” in the field, in fact they are babied. Every single one has been extremely rough when levering through the cycle, I put this off as a new rifle needing to be broke in and should smooth out action wise after say 4-5 boxes of shells.
None improved and 3 had to go into local gunsmith that has always fixed every problem I have taken him, all 3 had the firing pin break, my favorite a 45 case colored Trapper needed 3 new pins which he said was a tedious repair.
I have 13 Browning BLR’s, all have been smooth as silk out of the box with zero problems. Browning calibers range from 218 Bee to 450 Marlin, all feel the same through the cycle. I literally love the Browning. Love the Winchester’s more sentimental wise, but sorely disappointed with craftsmanship.
Today I Was checking out the various makers checking on new offerings. I stumble on the Winchester’s and the receiver now looks like the Browning’s on top with those 2 silver rectangle parts on either side.
Has some one new taken over production and improved quality? I would absolutely love a 45-70 as my Browning 450 Marlin stomps the snot out of me and is no joy to shoot when practice is needed for a big game Hunt. I’m thinking the 45-70 should be like the 45 Colt as far as using less explosive powder and therefore have a more tolerable practice round. I know the 45-70 is a much larger round than the 45 but the powder used in the earlier shells should produce much less recoil. Am I off base? Recoil has been a non event all my life until I met the 450 Marlin, but that damn thing wants to fight every time I take it out and I know I flinch even with a good limb saver.
Thank you and appreciate any help.