Originally Posted by AubMassCoyote
Looking at cartridges with .17 WSM as the minimum, and .223/5.56 as the maximum.

This would have, in approximate order:

.17 WSM
.17 Hornet
.17 Fireball
.17-223
.19 Calhoon Hornet
.19 Badger (Calhoon)
.22 Hornet
.20 Squirrel
.20 Min
.20 Vartarg
.19-223 Calhoon
.20 Practical
.221 Fireball

Am I missing any?

Which of these is the easiest to make? Obviously, the .17 Hornet is already done up. Looking for something to use on New England (large) coyotes 40-60 pounds, maybe more; but not far from homes, so noise is a factor. Range is anywhere from 30 yards to maybe 130 yards.

Also, how does one go about building or buying one of these? Or should I just get the .17 Hornet and be done with it?

OP - From reading you post it sounds as though you do not reload, if this is so then the easy answer is the 223, the ammo is available in an almost endless variety of relatively inexpensive factory ammo in a great variety of bullet weights. For coyotes you would be well served by a 40 - 50 grain bullet which generally shoot well in any over the counter twist rates. Also with inexpensive ammo you will be more likely to practice more often which means less misses.
As far as noise - it is not like you will be full-auto ammo dumps, most folks may be aware of a single rifle report but are unlikely to be disturbed by it.

There are literally tons of inexpensive, accurate rifles available, with most of them all you have to do is put a scope on, sight it in and proceed to kill coyotes. If you get an itch for one of the more oddball calibers you can always scratch it at a later date - chances are after using the 223 for a season you will find that it is all you really need anyway.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.