After watching a few on fleabay, it seems reasonable to hope that I can get a good one, with some of the gear, for 600$. Obviously I'm a noob, so will bore ya'll with only one crossbow-specific question: is there anything about a crossbow's higher speed that makes broad heads different than for regular archery? The short axis of the Excel Micro line is pretty appealing.

My lifetime bow has been an Matthews MQ32, which is not especially speedy. Bowhunting is always a short ranged proposition for me due to tactics. My farthest shot is 32 yards, most were inside of 20. I've been using the old style of Muzzy replaceable blade heads for over 20 years. I like the older ones rather than the shorter-bladed models. Been using 100-grainers. Never had a deer jump the string, which is pretty hard to do at 15 yards smile

With crossbow accuracy, it seems reasonable to think I could extend range to 50 yards without much trouble, which would be pretty helpful on some water hole hunts. Any reason to think the same broached isn't good? Really don't care about a few feet per second, and don't expect an arrow to penetrate bone shoulders with any broadhead. My first shot is always through the ribs, and have only needed a second shot once. These requirements seem pretty relaxed to me.

Is the Muzzy still a good choice? And do I need 125's now?

Tks,

J

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill