I retired about 4-1/2 years ago due to health reasons. I was an electrical lineman for 35 years and ran a sideline electric business for about 30 years. If health issues had not caused me to retire then, I would have retired about the end of last year or the first of this year.

My Wife and I don't budget and never have. We have always lived well within our means and still do. We always carried a minimum amount of debt. My income varied widely due to overtime and we planned our lives to live on my basic salary. A pension and SS provide about the same income as I made working and we have investments to fall back on whenever inflation starts creeping up on us.

We actually spend a little less than when we were working, mostly due to me not eating lunch out and having to buy less clothing. We travel more, taking a big trip about twice a year and several 3 day 2 night trips during the year.

I enjoyed my job but I don't really miss it. As far as self worth goes, I make up for not working by spending more time with the Wife, Sons and Grandkids. I hunt, fish, shoot, reload and cast and I'm pretty big into Craft Beer. I help a Farmer buddy during planting and harvest season and help another buddy plant food plots and maintain 2 different Duck Clubs. Sometimes I'm a little busier than I want to be but I would rather be occupied than bored.

I guess the big unknown for the retired or the elderly will be medical cost.

Last edited by lightman; 02/09/20.

lightman