Originally Posted by rem141r
i have been investing since 1987. i have been screwed one way or the other by every financial advisor i ever used. i started learning all the ins and outs (its not that hard) of investing 25 years ago. when i got a 6 figure portfolio on my own, i got nervous and got help. he was a rip off insurance salesmen, selling me a whole life policy. when i did my research i dumped him and got another guy who also was the only one who made money between the two of us. i went my own way for the next 10 years or so and then used one of dave ramseys ELP's. another screwing. he made me some money but he sold me into an "executive" plan that had him making more than me. i complained to dave ramsey and they were no help. i dumped his ass and just went with straight vanguard index and target date funds. razor thin costs and i have more than doubled my money since.

bottom line, learn how the stuff works and don't try to squeeze every last dime out of it. index funds make it easy. vanguard makes it cheap.

Unless you are an analytics junkie and enjoy trying to squeeze every last penny out of an investment, this is the best advice you’ll receive.