There are many examples of private land owners harassing and putting up fencing and barb wire across navigable streams in an effort to keep fishermen from floating through their “private stretches”. Many claim they have to because people are trashing their places and causing problems by leaving garbage, poaching, trespassing beyond high water marks, etc.

OTOH, there are many reports of fishermen who aren’t doing anything wrong and well within their legal rights being harassed by belligerent, entitlement minded landowners simply because the fisherman had the audacity to fish through “their” waters.

There was a case a few years back reported in many fly fishing mags of singer Huey Lewis - who is a fly fisherman - blocking access to a stream that had historically been open to the public. If I recall, he had made improvements to said stream at considerable cost to himself claiming the stream wasn’t a stream at all but merely a man made ditch and so he had the right to block it off because many were coming in and trashing the place. Someone challenged it - maybe a local sportsman’s group - and last I heard it was going to court. I don’t know what all ended up happening. It may be ongoing for all I know.

This is an ongoing problem with no easy answers. I am a firm believer in public access to public lands and waters, but some of the slob hunters/fishermen don't make it easy on the rest of us.

Yes. Slobs are the one bad apple ruining the whole barrel. There will be wars and rumors of war until the end of time.

I have a central Oregon friend with a recreational river through his property. Stay within the high water line and one is fine. Venture out, and one gets an especially eloquent lecture containing lots of 3 and 4-letter French words while viewing an AR in his crossed arms. His most frequent incidents are fires and trash. Another expensive one was a card board target propped against a stack of irrigation pipe.

Shifting to stockmen and public land grazing: Eastern Oregon is mostly arid land. That is we receive less moisture than we evaporate in a year. Twelve inches of water in the winter does not generate a corn or wheat crop. That being, water is THE commodity and stockmen exploit near every opportunity to develop seeps, springs, wells, and seasonal drainages into year round sources. With no one else having a dog in the fight, their developments have converted millions of acres into functional wildlife habitat. Without their work, these guys would not be there and we'd have a lot of really empty country.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

1Minute