Those B run steelhead were a blast to catch in the Clearwater

Originally Posted by 1minute
The entire Columbia system is in the toilet for steelhead and to a lesser degree salmon. If those are not ones sole reason for living, then there are still other resident species and rivers to fish. It's especially sad for Clearwater steelhead as they are the largest of fish south of the Smithers Canadian reaches. They stray up some of our streams and one knows within seconds of hookup that he's into an Idaho fish. Over the last 35+ years I have lived to do 2 to 3 weeks of fall floating/flyfishing for steelhead on the Deschutes (lower down in north central Oregon). For the best of times 28 or 9 fish beached in a week and that many or more lost during the fights. I know that river, and in many runs can warn one that in this or the next cast he will hook up. In 2016/17/18 trips went down to 2 or 3 tugs and 1 or 2 fish landed. Last fall, dam counts were even lower, and sadly I did not even put the boat on the river. Even have newly built 16 ft Spey rod that not had the skunk knocked off yet.

I think I might have experienced the best of times. Idaho, and rivers east into Wyoming and Montana can still offer one great trouting experiences. Presently, I'd not do Clearwater property if salmon and steelhead were the central focus. Still a ton of hunting opportunities in the region, so not a bad place to be. Let us pray, however, for a substantial and rapid fish recovery. I*;m not getting any younger.

I also, have some distant friends (charter boats) in Sitka, Ak. Historically they've landed day trip limits in 1/2 of the session. Last couple of years, they've been doing a full days work. No one's able to establish the definitive causes.