Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Are there any cast bullets out there that will not lead up a factory Glock 20 barrel. I tried some HSM cast bullets and I guess they were too soft and leaded up after just a few rounds. Thanks, David.

This sort of question comes up a lot.

The #1 consideration is making sure the bullets are at LEAST .001" larger than your barrel, and ideally they should fit the throat. Unfortunately most commercial cast bullets seem to err on the small side, which causes what you found.

They do not need to be "as hard as possible"; in fact your HSM cast bullets were probably harder than necessary but too small for your barrel; that is a guaranteed recipe for leading. Moderate hardness of 12-18 BHN is adequate for most Glock barrels depending on the load; softer for light loads and harder for hot loads.

Boogaloo has it right above, and since he buys his bullets I'll defer to his suggestions there. Personally I shoot a LOT of cast bullets through Glocks, including the 10mm, but cast my own so I don't know who's best to buy from. Regardless, make sure those bullets are large enough. If in doubt, I'd want them to be at least .402" diameter, and coated of course.

If you can get them from a company that uses powder coating instead of Hi-Tek, that's even better. Unfortunately the only one I know of who does is Blue Bullets, and they tend to size their bullets like jacketed bullets, which is a little too small.

Last edited by Yondering; 02/17/20.