Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
There is a guy on the internet who travels all around the planet. Spends a lot of time in the former Soviet republic areas and what not.

He kind of makes a living challenging preconceived notions of places. Places supposed to be terrible.

He went to Dagestan. Found the locals to be friendly and hospitable. The YouTube channel is called Bald and Bankrupt.

Personally, I would give it a pass, but I worry too much!

Wasn't Ed in the 'stans recently?

I love the Bald & Bankrupt guy.

The hospitality of the people in the former soviet union is unbelievable.

I've traveled some over the years. Been to places that many would be uncomfortable with. One thing I have learned is there is a difference between showing up as a tourist, and being invited by a person or group that is hosting you.

This trip is for a group of young wrestlers. For those that don't know, Dagestan is the center of the universe for top-tier wrestling. If you've ever heard of Khabib, he is from Dagestan. Sadulaev, is the top, pound-for-pound wrestler in the world. From Dagestan. The wrestling culture is phenomenal and these boys have been invited to go and train with a few clubs in the region. Starting in Petersburg and then traveling south into Dagestan. I understand this isn't the simplest, safest opportunity like traveling to Edmonton. This is a once-in-a-lifetime training opportunity and life-altering experience. Trying to figure out what the reality is on the ground.

I note that not many people have chimed in with personal experience, and that is what I am looking for.

Last edited by Tarkio; 02/18/20.

Montana MOFO