Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by moosemike
Ron Spomers buddy took a Brown Bear with his Mossberg Patriot in .338 WM. So there are people who will buy these type rifles for serious hunts.

Ron Spomer's buddy probably worked for Mossberg.

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/mossberg-patriot-vs-brown-bear/

Tom Claycomb is an industry writer. It was likely an assignment to use the Mossberg. If you can afford a full price Brown bear hunt, you aren't hunting with a bargain basement rifle, no matter if you treat it worse than Spomer does a hammer.

You can like your 300WM Patriot, but don't be so defensive. How is a Patriot different than the Mossberg 4x4? Weren't there stories about 4x4s blowing apart? When the Patriot came out, I never read if it was a different action than the 4x4. Regardless, the 4x4 problems must have been fixed because the Patriot has had much better reviews. I think Boddington has hunted with one, but that was an assignment.

Again, on a trip like that, you buy the best gear you can afford. A $400 dangerous game rifle isn't it.

I didn't like my .300 WM Patriot. I sent it down the road pretty quick. Dang thing kicked worse than the .340 Weatherby I have now.
The Patriot is not a variant of the 4x4. It's a new design for Mossberg and gets very good reviews. I dont currently own one.