I use kettlebells all the time and really like it (I’m 51). I combine kettlebells and barbell lifts.
If you have shoulder issues I highly recommend Turkish Getups. Lots of good benefits for core stability and strength, but also great for shoulder rehab. They’re apart of every workout for me. Kettlebells are great because it’s a different mindset. You have to practice, you can’t approach it with a goal of just getting a sweat on.
I also do snatch's often and double cleans combined with front squats.
If you’re going to be avoiding heavier bells, then I would recommend doing more complexes. Where you combine two or three exercises and string them together. eg, two double cleans, 1 overhead press, 3 front squats, rest, repeat for multiple repeats.

Try and find books by Geoff Neupert. He has lots of great info.
Also check out strong as hec website. It’s Hector Gutierrez and he has some really good free content with simple programs depending on what your goal is and excellent free instructional videos. He also has a a lot of advanced material to buy, but with kettlebells it takes a long time and lot of practice to get good at the techniques. He has a free ebook download called “kettlebell snacks”. It’s a great website.

Last edited by mod7rem; 02/27/20.