Originally Posted by DigitalDan
No performance but I have encountered issues related to fit. Not all Hornady checks slip on Lyman bullets easily. They will fit, but in some cases it takes a bit of extra effort.

Oh, you haven't lived until you encountered older Saeco designs (and some others) that utilized a tapered gas check shank. Whyinhell they did that I'll never know. The upshot is that I made a hardened tapered punch to fit in my arbor press with which I laboriously re-shape checks to fit on those shanks, both in .30 and .22 caliber. I've used that selfsame punch to alter the checks for use on other bullets too when fit was an issue. The tapered gas check straightens right out as it passes through the sizing die, yet allows for easy bottoming out against the bullet base for a flat/square fit. (And make no mistake, the base of a bullet- the steering end as it were- absolutely must be flat, and square to the sides of the bullet.)

You mess with this stuff long enough and god knows what for bizarre gas check scenarios you'll encounter.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty