A Day at the Races (1937), a film featuring the Marx Bros. Or,
A Day at the Races (1976), an album by those British rockin' holers, Queen.

I have always believed that a bad day at the range, isn't. 'Cause we all know that when things aren't going well at the range, it sure beats being at work (whatever that is)...

Today was a lovely day...if you were a snowman, or a professional icicle maker. It wasn't too cold, minus 4 Celsius (or 25 Foreignheat), but the wind was gusting up to 40 mph, and that made it feel like I was visiting the in laws, north of Sudbury.

The purpose of today's trip was to fireform some cases in my 223 Wylde chamber. I intend to reload them using the various die sets I talked about in another thread. Of the 198 in the box, I only managed to shoot 50 because of the weather. The loads I put together were reminiscent of when I was in the service, shooting the fodder they gave us. There were a few ways we described it.

It's not much good. Just shoot and salute.
Pray and spray. (or vice versa - Spray and pray)
F!!kin sh!!t! F!!kin Sh!!t!
Do they really hate us that much? laugh

The 223 load was a 55 gr. Cam Pro bullet (yuck) over 24.3 gr. of WC735. This is a surplus powder obtained from Higginsons. OAL of 2.26 inches. I have never shot this particular combination before and accuracy was unimportant.Good thing. It was awful. I just needed the fired cases. Here is the box of cartridges, for those that like pix of same.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I shot two 25 shot targets. 5.25 inches was the best I could manage. Some of that might have been the numbing of my fingers, but considering the bullets, it likely didn't make much difference. crazy This is what it looked like.

Because I like to leave the range on a positive note, after finishing with the 223 loads, I shot my 225. Mercifully, I did not use Cam Pro 55s, but rather, Hornady bulk 55s. I shot two 5 shot groups with three powders - Varget (2 in. avg), IMR 4064 (1.73 avg) and IMR 4451 (the winner - 0.93 avg) I mistakenly threw away the 0.85 in target, but have the 1.01 inch target.

The morning was great, despite the snow and the wind. And as I always do, I stopped in at Timmys on the way home. This is my snow and wind in the face look. Or it might have been me mugging for the camera.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada