Flew Delta in September 2018 from New Orleans to ATL to Joberg. We chose the comfort plus economy which was $2-300 upcharge over regular economy IIRC. Total was around $2200-2300 with the flight cancellation insurance. We did get hassled and talked to like trash coming back into ATL. It was as if we were bothering them to do their jobs. Overall flight wasn't too bad. Was a little uncomfortable for a 300lb guy in a plane seat for 16-17hrs and it was a little stuffy but otherwise not too bad. I couldn't sleep on the plane to save my life. I wouldn't do it again unless I could afford to fly 1st/business class.

The buddy I went with has a friend that has been to RSA 13 times. He highly recommended us avoid stopping in Europe if we were taking our own guns so that's why we chose the straight flight from ATL to Joberg.

One thing I will recommend is thorough planning. We left NOLA at 3:30pm then left ATL at 6:45pm IIRC. By the time we arrived in Joberg, got our bags and guns and got to camp it was midnight the next day. Showered and got in bed close to 1am then alarm was going off at 4:30am. So I was awake for about 43hrs then slept 3hrs or so and was getting up to start the hunt. This kind of set the pace for what ended up being a very exhausting trip for me but we did end up with a very successful hunt. We should have left NOLA in the am or got a room in Joberg and then made it to camp the next day. Guess we live and learn. Good luck on your trip and safe travels.

Ohh and we used Henry with rifle permits for transporting our rifles. This made things a breeze arriving in SA.