I think we have gone completely off the rails on this subject.
What I was asking was if anyone had used the spar varnish grain filler technique and then stained a stock. I want the grain filled without having to sand the finish to fill the pores. Several threads and even a video already on the subject but non specifically addressed the stain after varnish. Another gentleman was kind enough to pm and assured me it would be no problem to stain after the varnish. Problem solved.
At that point we have somehow got into a debate about stain?
To clarify I have no interest in the Zebra striped orange or yellow stocks that are all the rage. I much rather prefer the PreWar 1 Mauser sporters Rigbys etc and Said so. Non of the 1900 era rifles I’ve owned or seen in person had a lot of crazy figure. The finish was dark usually brown maybe a hint of red. The stock I’m working on has very little figure it mostly has the vertical stripes along the butt stock very similar to Jim Corbett’s .275. It is too light in color hence it will be stained no matter how many people are upset by this lol.
Maybe a couple of pictures for those that are not understanding
The first pic is a Mauser model B stock in original finish from 1912 the second pic is another Mauser model B with the finish removed. No amount of sunlight or polyurethane will get that stock to the same color. The stock was the same color before stripping. The last pic is what I think looks like a cartoon stock drawn by a second grader not what I would want on a rifle. Like I said it’s all about preference. I do not and will not want a straight combed zebra striped swirly orange stock so I did not buy one.

Attached Images
Last edited by Ap75; 03/04/20.