Hadn't looked at this thread for a week or 2 and am happy to see new replies.

Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Corrosion isn't as large an issue down here for aluminum as you would think. There are a lot more aluminum boats than you are giving credit also. Xpress, G3 and a few specialty brands of aluminum bay boats are pretty popular...but I do agree that there are far more fiberglass boats.

Originally Posted by ribka
I take my 20 ft Lund out in the salt all the time. Only downside as mentioned is when the sun is beating down and temps get over the 90's. Carfeul where you sit ol

Is corrosion a non-issue then???

Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Down here, people generally look at aluminum boats as "economy" grade. Its what you buy when you can't afford the fiberglass boat you want.

I'm all about economy grade...

I'd love to have a Scout 195SF for the gulf coast and a Crestliner 1850 fish hawk for the midwest, but Either one would set me back further than I'm comfortable. Both just aint gonna happen.

Originally Posted by OAM
I will only buy aluminum boats for a two reasons;
1. They are much lighter. I can beach it at high tide and hunt without worrying about about being stranded. 3 guys can drag a 21' boat down to the water where it would take 8 guys to drag the same boat made of fiberglass.
2. Fixing or making changes is as easy as firing up a tig welder. Which I do frequently.

These are exactly things that have been on my mind. I'm not the most experienced guy in a boat and I wanna fix what I break. Also have read several times of guys doing damage while beaching boats in less than calm weather.

"Chances Will Be Taken"