Originally Posted by JMR40
For about the same money as quality iron sights just put a 1-4X scope on it and set it on 1X for fast shooting. They are faster than any iron sight especially in low light. I've had more iron sights fail me than scopes over the years.

I completely agree that, for most applications, the best answer for closer shots is a good scope with relatively low power. In fact, the scope that just arrived which I plan to mount on this rifle is a Virtex Razor LH 1.5-8x32. I’ve only had a chance to look though the scope unmounted, but from that I see there’s no significant fisheye or tunnel effect at 1.5, and with a #4 style reticle I bet this s ole will be very good up close.

However, I like the idea of fast acquiring iron sights, and since this rifle has them factory installed I want to set them up.

Mostly because I enjoy occasionally shooting g offhand with a centerfire rifle at the range. Also, I occasionally spend time fishing and camping in black bear country and I like to have a rifle handy in the incredibly unlikely event I have to deal with a bear. Mostly for peace of mind. If I’m carrying around a rifle in a non-hunting situation, I like the idea of taking off the scope so it’s easier to carry and I won’t need to worry about handling.