Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I bought all the lead pigs from an old print shop a few years ago. I gave about 700 pounds to a friend who wanted to case 300 BO bullets. I still haven't cast any yet because we built a new home and moved and I haven't set my stuff up.

I took a 22# pig to a scrap yard and had it tested with a Xray gun. It was only about 70% lead and the rest was tin and antimony. My friend said he had to mix a lot of pure lead with it to soften it up a bit. I need to find a source for pure lead and get casting. I've got pigs of that stuff stacked all over my garage. It sucked moving it.

I'm looking forward to.learning to.powder coat bullets. I always hated traditional bullet lubes.

Bb

What you have sounds like pigs of linotype... worth twice as much or more than soft lead and getting more difficult to find as time goes on other than purchasing from Rotometals.

Go to Castboolets... there is a forum on powder coating and the lead forum has info on lino.

I make 94-3-3 alloy using 8 parts range scrap, 2 parts lino and .45 parts 50/50 solder. There is a formula for making Hardball alloy using 1 part lino and 1 part soft, iirc.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla