have a cousin who is interested in coming to Oregon while he will be out on the West Coast on Business
from Virginia, later on this spring...he's been prairie dog shooting in Wyoming...and wants to try his hand at Sage Rats...

He's motivated by how many of them there are, where one can get over a 1,000 rounds down range in a good day...

from 22LR 's to 223s are the most common around here, along with the 17 HMR and less popular the 22 Win mag..

My cousin is motivated with his 17 HMR.....

He was asking about the size... and I had to really think about it at first, to someone that has never really seen one...
after a little thought.... I told him an adult is about as tall as a dollar bill is long... and about the girth of a 12 oz water bottle..at most.

Questioning about how accurate should he be aiming for... had to think about that one also...
at the range, I zero my scope to be able to hit or be real near a circle between the size of a nickle to a quarter.. at 100 yrds...
from a rest of course....

He got kind of quiet..... and then a breathe and a non nonchalant "WoW" from him...

Most varmint shooters don't think much about it.. but I guess if you are not use to hitting a quarter at 100 yds.. that can seem a little overwhelming...even with the use of a rest...

he seemed to get a little discouraged, but we'll see if he wants to follow thru...

and scope... I use something will some sort of mildot reticle, and usually set on 10 power.. and pretty much all of my shooting is 200 yds and under....which I usually walk off and mark it with a surveyor stick, sprayed Orange or neon green glow for easy visibility posted at 100, 150 and 200 yds...

I've gotten to the point, I don't like to take shooters out for their first time anymore... as I spend most of my time waiting on them..
but family is family.. and growing up, Lord knows did we always had fun on the farm, that Jim inherited from his dad...

hopefully he'll be out after the first cut of the alfalfa....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez