I shot a brown bear on September 7th, 1976 at 9:20 PM at a distance of about 30'. I was sitting on a tiny pond calling moose and the bear popped out of the brush. My scope was my old Leupold Vari X 2.5-8x36 with a Duplex reticle. When I fired my first shot I could see the bear and had a precise point of aim. No it was not lite up like a bright day, but it was good enough for that shot at that range.

The scope could focus on my license plate at bayoneted distance and it now sits on the old Springfield 338-06 I gifted my grandson. Seems like when I started hunting here in the mid 60's 4 power Weavers and a Post reticle were every where. Most .270 and 30-06 users had a 4 power scope and eventually the 3-9 variable took over. Now days, one can buy about any combination they can afford. My .338 now wears a 3-10 Nightforce HV. I used a Leupold 1.5-5x20 on my old Ruger .338 for 12 years and made a couple of 350 to 400 yard shots with it on moose, before we had antler restrictions.

Almost to the man every old time Alaskan guide I met up in the Slana River Country, Nabesna and Wrangel Mountains hunted all species of Alaskan big game. They all said the same thing, get with in 40 yards of a big brown bear if possible and do not shoot at them past 200 yards. But, it ain't hard to get on You Tube and see some one shooting brownies way past 200 yards. Now I get it, hunter pays a big chunk of change to a guide to get a big brown bear and if hunter has a clean decent shot at a big bear at 300 yards and the bear is on the flats and the tide is out, etc. BANG!

If I decide to go look for a big brown bear to kill the Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV with an illuminated Force Plex reticle will be ok. About any scope with a low end of 4 or less will work and the high end is a personal choice and there is nothing wrong with going over 4 power if it helps you to place your bullet better.