Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Alvaro,

It didn't help when I tried it, but you never know.

There are two potential problems. First, rifle bullet stability is controlled by two opposing forces, the gyroscopic stability of the spinning bullet, and the air pressure on the front of the bullet, which tends to destabilize the bullet. If the frontal air pressure increases, it tends to detabilize even more--and a flat-nose bullet results in more frontal air pressure.

Second, if a bullet is marginally stable, even a small change in atmospheric conditions (colder air, lower elevation) can destabilize it--along with a drop in velocity due to a cold-sensitive powder.

Thank you for your reply, John.
Currently, stabilizati0n is marginal, but on the right side of the margin and filing it may increase that margin a little.
My shooting range is at 2,100 ft and where I hunt is 3,700+ so that may add a little more margin.
Temperature will be working against, as typically the huntig area will be 5-8 degrees C cooler.
I think you are absolutely right and I will not try them on game, regardless the results with so many good alternatives around, because I do not feel comfortable anywhere near a margin...
But I can't resist the experiment. Or I am not a loonie? :-))
Alvaro