Originally Posted by Chocolatepossum
Good suggestion above about contacting the BSS. Judging by your username, I would guess you are wanting a duck dog. While I agree that Cockers are awesome dogs, I do think Boykins handle water better. After all, one of their primary functions is to be a smaller duck retriever. It will probably be difficult to find one outside of the southeast though, not many have made it east of the Mississippi. Though their popularity is starting to really take off. Best of luck to you! I sure do enjoy my two!

There are several in TX, I don't know about breeders but I do know there some folks in TX named Boykin that run the little brown dog.The dog originated in Boykin, SC for fall turkey hunting, breaking up flocks and then hiding under cover( think burlap) and the hunter calls the flock back together to harvest a bird.
As far popularity taking off, that is true probably outside of SC,GA,NC. I bought my 1st in 1984 the pick of the litter female from the owner of the(sire) champion dog that year. They are queer about who they go to , I qualified because I was classmate of the sire's owner in college.
If you are in AK ,my choice would be a Chessie of which I had , best dog I ever owned ,loyal to a fault( bit my ex, Ha)hardy and true water dog with endless drive and energy for the water.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers