Lots of good info! I appreciate it all!

I've been talking with a member here and planning to meet him at a shoot and see what it's all about before I get too far ahead of myself. I think that's a wise course of action.

I should note, the shoots are a little different than normal silhouette shooting. It's a benchrest competition shooting silhouettes from 850-1000yds.

I'm "thinking" I will continue to shoot my m700 and get back into precision shooting and longer ranges. That barrel isn't going to shoot that way forever. If I shoot if as regularly as I'm hoping, I will be looking to rebarrel over the winter... stepping up to probably a 6.5x47. Then next year I can shoot the matches at Ridgeway with that rig and see how I like it. If I like it, probably look to buying or building a benchrest rig. The current gun will stay as it will still be a heck of a groundhog rig.

I actually have no idea what else is in a reasonable drive of me...I know there is a new Practical Rifle range. But that's a totally different rig and discipline....though the current rig when rebarreled would probably work there.

Lots to explore and consider. I may not even like the competition side. Maybe just join a club with a long range where I can punch paper and ring steel at long range on my own.