As a more general comment, the problem with a lack of hunting stories in magazines these days was caused not by lack of story-tellers but by television and then the Internet.

Magazine hunting stories were going strong through the 1980s and into the early 90s. I know this because at one time I made more than half my living writing them--along with some fishing stories--for magazines including FIELD & STREAM, GRAY'S SPORTING JOURNAL, SPORTS AFIELD and even SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, back when SI ran "blood sports" stuff. In fact, my very first magazine sale was to SI 45 years ago, what the magazines then called a "mood piece" on flyfishing in the winter in Wyoming. Sold my second story a few months later to GRAY'S, then a brand-new magazine.

But as more hunting (and fishing) shows took over TV, and then the Internet, more magazines quit running stories, because most hunters and anglers apparently preferred watching over reading.. I quit publishing fishing stories in the mid-90s, because the pay rates really started going downhill. That was also about the time the amount of my gun writing started really rising, partly because editors wanted more technical info than hunting stories.

I still get to write a few hunting stories for SPORTS AFIELD, but gave up FIELD & STREAM YEARS ago, because it started going to "sound bites" rather than stories of any length. The latest news in the business is F&S just went from published six times a year to quarterly. (GRAY'S never was much of a market for professional writers, something I learned during a stint as the editor in the mid-90s. The only way they could afford to keep going was to mostly run stories by people who did something else for a living, who will generally accept lower pay.)

But there's also been a general decline in reading for pleasure--not information--in all magazines. While it's still a pretty strong industry (contrary to what some people think) it's mostly turned into an information market, like the gun and hunting magazines.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck