Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Im no expert, especially on model, current offerings, cool new features, etc. I’ve just spent a lot of hours behind NV stuff in the past and a couple of thermals over the last 4 years. If you can afford to, you might want both. Thermal scanner/spotter, and NV for shooting. If only one, then thermal if you can afford it......remember, you can only see in the black, THROUGH a device.....if that device is permanent mounted to a 9# rifle, you’re spotting and scanning with a 9# scope....not optimum. You’ll see more with a thermal. NVs will see more than anything but a thermal, and shoot well, but they’re still reliant on your eyeball finding what’s there. A thermal can shoot just as well, but it’s gonna hilight what’s there and draw your eye to it. A $3k NV/IR is likely to be far better quality/resolution than a $3k thermal, but the thermal may make up for it in adverse conditions, cover, fog, overcast, etc. Ideal has been a small thermal spotter, and a 2nd thermal sight on the gun. Both have a learning curve for your perception and use vs your natural visual cues. NV is faster to adapt to initially, at least in my use. If I could afford a decent thermal, I’d pick it first. If I needed scanning first, I’d then buy a NV sight until I could get a second thermal for my rifle, too. Either can get it done, but once you’ve used a good thermal, NV/IR is second fiddle, IMO.

That is an excellent summary, and I agree 100%.

I have been using thermal exclusively for hog hunting at night for the past 3 years and it's been a game-changer! I now have 2 thermal scopes and a 3rd older generation thermal I use solely as a "locator" monocular. I will never go back to other methods and optics for hunting hogs and predators. Lots of fun!

Ted