Hello all! I promised an update once my GPR was returned from the gunsmith, and it's back wearing it's brand spankin' Rice 54caliber round ball barrel.

Unfortunately, I only managed once at my gun clubs range with it before we placed restrictions on access to our club due to the COVID19 pandemic. The flintlock showed some promise, but also the need for a taller front sight.

The groups with both .530 & .535 patched ball were about the same, slightly tighter with the larger ball, but loaded shockingly easy even with an .020 pillow ticking patch. I really expected smaller groups than I got, especially from a benchrest, but in fairness, there is still work to be done at the range. My hope is for one inch or tighter 50 yard groups once I find the right load. My 50 cal flinter does an inch day in and day out, so if this barrel doesn't, I'll have to figure out whether it's the shooter, or the shooter!

Fit and finish is excellent, and everything seems like it should work out fine. Ignition is lightning fast as long as I do my part to ensure it. As for the front sight, I changed it over to one in my muzzleloader spare parts drawer last night, and if my calculations are accurate enough it should be printing about one inch high at 50 yards when we open the club in a few weeks.

I really want to thank the members here for the help when I was trying to salvage the GPR replacement barrel after the recall. Hope I can return the help at a future date.

Last edited by Old_Man; 03/18/20.

Youthful enthusiasm is replaced by old age and treachery!