Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Originally Posted by blairvt
It never made sense to me for National guardsmen to be overseas...maybe I'm missing something?

Are you serious? I'm in the Air Guard for last 20 years. Been deployed a total of about 4 years since 911. Guard is a huge part of the military's capability.

Yes, I am... Please explain how it makes sense when we already have a military and reserves to enact oversea adventures that we would send 'National' Guardsmen.

Originally Posted by jnyork
It never made sense to me for National guardsmen to be overseas...maybe I'm missing something?

Boasting a service record predating the Revolutionary War and extending through every American military conflict, the National Guard served with distinction and honor in Vietnam. Although the majority of troops in Vietnam were "regulars," the National Guard played an important role, particularly from 1968-1969.

Army National Guard units mobilized to Vietnam included Kentucky's 2nd Battalion, 138th Artillery; Indiana's Company D (Ranger), 151st Infantry, which brought home 510 medals for valor and service; Hawaii's 29th Infantry Brigade; Kansas' 69th Infantry Brigade, with one infantry battalion from the Iowa Guard; California's 1st Squadron, 18th Armored Cavalry; New Hampshire's 3rd Battalion, 197th Artillery; and numerous engineer, postal, medical and support units.

The Air National Guard, flying F-100C Super Sabre fighter-bombers, dispatched four squadrons to Vietnam, with the first F-100s roaring into Phan Rang Air Base in late April 1968. Air Guard units included the 120th Colorado, 174th Iowa, 136th New York and the 188th New Mexico. These outstanding Air Guard units flew 24,124 combat sorties and accumulated 38,614 combat flying hours.

According to Gen. George S. Brown, testifying before Congress in 1973, prior to his confirmation as Air Force chief of staff, these four units were the best F-100 units in the Vietnam theater. Gen. Brown commanded the 7th Air Force in Vietnam and observed the Air National Guard in combat.

Also activated were the Air Guard F-101 Voodoo units that performed reconnaissance missions in temporary tours of duty around the world in 1968-1969. Air Guard airlift units also regularly flew supplies to Vietnam in support of the war effort.

By the time all was said and done, 101 National Guard soldiers, army and air, would never again see the United States.

Granted, most National Guard units did not go to Vietnam. Neither did a majority of active duty personnel. Many National Guard commanders prepared for expected activation in the early days of the war, but President Johnson decided against it. He didn't want to send a message around the world that America was declaring all-out war against Vietnam. Perhaps if Johnson had called up the National Guard in large numbers, the war might have taken a different turn and had the support of the American public.

Also often overlooked is the Army National Guard's role manning Nike missile anti-aircraft batteries and Air National Guard fighter interceptor units standing on 24-hour alert during the Vietnam era against the Cold War Soviet threat. Anti-war protests and racial tensions also saw the National Guard on duty throughout the Vietnam era.

I

TY for the history lesson, but none of that answers or explains away what I said, would you like to attempt that this time?

How about, because the people we elect and send to DC refuse to allocate funds sufficient to maintain a "regular Army" sufficient to cover our needs. That leaves the activation of guard units as the only alternative.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.