There were some different prototypes of extractor designs on this model. Pretty sure most of those released into the wild had a sliding extractor in a T slot somewhat based on a Savage. If not then an AR style extractor. These models also had the standard M70 Trigger. I've got a "scrap" varmint action that had the rec threads buggered. Scrap actions were sold to employees for around $300 and the reasons for not selling as a production "full blown" Mod 76 actions were various. During the early production of the varmint action shown above Dakota policy changed to have the serial# start with a "S" for any of the scrap actions. There are a lot of these out there. My scrap varmint action S# starts with SV*****. However it's not a varmint action anymore. As I bought it from one of the machine shop guys, he had already finished the machining to turn it into a standard Kurz Dakota short action repeater. Pretty sure the scrap part on mine was the Rec threads were buggered and they were just opened up like all the blueprinted services you see offered today. Extra machining to turn it from Varmint to Short repeater were:
Machine magbox lip and feed rails opening
machine feed ramp
machine M70 style ejector slot & drill return spring pocket & ejector pivot
open right bolt lug raceway to clear CRF extractor
This operation was done just like the 03 Springfields using a mandrel with an advancing cutter like a cut rifling mandrel shaving .0003" each pass. Slow work so the Varmints weren't cut to full repeater depth to save $$.

The Varmint bolt should have a plunger ejector. Pretty sure the breech faces were the same as a repeater76.

I've got another scrap action that is a very early version of the Varmint action that Pete worked on before I got there. It was more of a BRest action with a flat bottom rec full length other than the recoil lug that is only 1/8" lower than the bottom of the action. The Varmints had the same step in front of the mag well as a standard M70. My BR also has a trigger carrier that houses a Rem style trigger, coned bolt & breech, and Sako extractor. There are very few of these out there.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker