Saw a nice one, 12 gauge, at a local auction, old, decent looking from the pics. So, I ventured out for a closer look. Looking at the outside, the barrel, action and forend (corn cob) look original, stock looks fine for the age.

However, the receiver, also in decent condition, looks like an add on. The main giveaway is the top of the receiver is somewhat worn and parkerized, and I sure don't think that was a factory finish back in the 1930's...Also, I think the serial # should be found on a few locations for that era, to include the bottom of the receiver, nothing there. Not very consistent with the beater I already have mfg'd the year before.

Looking at the barrel, looks to be some minor surface pitting, but still mostly shiny and clean, and it wouldn't bother me, except for the other issues.

If anyone has more detailed insight on this prospective purchase, would be most interested. The house will call me tomorrow, and I have to decide if I'll play...The bidding will start less than 2 bills, another indicator.

Thanks for any comments.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]