State Patrol trooper struck, killed by driver during pursuit on I-5 in Chehalis
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

By Elise Takahama
Seattle Times staff reporter
A Washington State Patrol trooper was struck and killed by a fleeing driver Tuesday afternoon while he was placing spike strips on Interstate 5 in Chehalis during a police pursuit, according to the State Patrol..

The trooper, Justin R. Schaffer, was struck just before 4 p.m. and taken to Providence Centralia Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Trooper Will Finn said on Twitter. All southbound lanes of I-5 south in Centralia were temporarily closed after the crash.

No other details on the pursuit and crash were released Tuesday evening

Schaffer, 28, is survived by his wife, mother, father, brother and K9 partner. He had been a trooper for seven years, according to a statement from the State Patrol.

“Our hearts go out to this grieving family and we recognize the unique sacrifice they have offered to our state as Justin’s father, Glenn is currently the Chief of Police in the City of Chehalis,” the statement said.

Schaffer began working for the State Patrol in November 2013 as a trooper cadet assigned to the property management division, the statement said. He started his training with the 27th Arming Class in January 2014, and was commissioned and assigned to Morton, Lewis County, in September of that year. Four years later, he transferred to Chehalis.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting