Warbirdlover, - please read -
can I ask when was the last time you looked through a scope? Reason being I have seen more than one hunter around your age lose the ability to use a standard duplex type reticle due to macular degeneration or some other vision deteriorating affect.. Cross-hairs look crooked or wavy and centering becomes difficult. If this is happening all is not yet lost though. To get around that we got Dad a scope with a lit dot center so that the cross hairs caused less of an issue- so something to consider.
BY FAR the most cost effective of this type is the Burris illuminated #4 that I turned many on to here when they went on sale at Natchez for $159. I would buy again and happily pay more however, I just looked for you and unfortunately and don't see them there now.

I have experience with three of the scopes recommended above . I own the Hawke, a Burris FF2 and bought \ mounted \\tested the Nikon Prostaff. Not a bad one in the lot. Modern scopes have become inexpensive but that doesn't mean they are 'cheap' - you get a LOT for the money.

My default go to for years was the FF2 and recommended them countless times but after having owned the Hawke and used the Prostaff I think I would recommend the Prostaff. Its adjustments are better than the Fullfield. I got to test it in low light and at some distances and was super impressed with it. For the money it was listed in this thread I think it the pick of the bunch. The Hawke has been stellar for me but believe the Prostaff likely brighter. If reticle isn't an issue - pick the best deal you could find on any of these. I would pick them over a Vari-x with friction adjustments any day.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius