I've owned close to 40 Ruger 77s and Hawkeyes over the past 39 years and still have the second one that I purchased, a 77R in 257AI that I bought at Pat's Pawn & Gun in Ogden, KS, in 1982. Some years ago I was guilted into donating the first Ruger 77 that I bought, a 77R in 7x57, to a church sponsored mission in Malawi.

I like mannlicher-style stocks and Ruger is the only large U.S. manufacturer that has continuously cataloged rifles with mannlicher-style stocks since they introduced the 77RSI in 1982. Ruger has made the only stainless rifles with mannlicher-style stocks that I'm aware of, the non-cataloged runs that they've made for Lipsey's.

When I lived in NH, I got to know a few people who either worked for Ruger, or who had previously worked for Ruger, and they all took pride in their work and the products that they made.

EDIT: I have had 2 Ruger 77s that wouldn't shoot, a 77 RSI in 243 and a 77 R in 257 Roberts. The 243 never would shoot, but when I had it rebored/rechambered to 260 it shot fine. I have another 77 RSI in 243 that is only 6 serial numbers away and it shoots fine. The 257 had a very long throat and even though the rifle was built on a long action, most bullets weighing under 115 grains couldn't be seated far enough out to come close to the rifling.. I rebarrreled it as a 25-284 with a 24" Douglas barrel that was throated to SAAMI specs.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 03/28/20. Reason: Added comment