Originally Posted by albert23456
Originally Posted by southtexas
It’s curious to me that Speer touts the GDs only as self protection bullets

Are you talking from experience or just personal opinion, some of us here need a clarity and it interest me to know. Thank you.

Not sure I follow your question, but here goes. The experience I have with Gold Dots, is that the 120gr produced a very accurate load in my 6.5CM with little effort. I have not used any Gold Dot bullet on a game animal.

My comment was that I find it curious that Speer only refers to "Personal Protection" as a "Use" for Gold Dots and does not mention "hunting" as an appropriate use. It would seem to me that a bullet designed for personal protection should work pretty well on deer-sized game. If this is correct, why wouldn't Speer promote the line of bullets for more than one "use"?

As an as-side, the Gold Dots appear to me to be quite similar to the old Deep Curls and current Fusions. I do have experience with Deep Curls for hunting (257/120. 270/150, and 30/165). I have found them to be easy to find an accurate load for and to provide excellent terminal performance.

I do plan to try the 120/6.5s on a cull doe to see how it works, Will start with a broadside lung shot to see if it provides good expansion and complete penetration.

Hope that provides clarification...