I am enjoying the new threads invitation Wade started. Thank you sir for doing that. It's a nice diversion from the cacophony of all that is going on now.

Though it might be interesting to look at the 401 Herters Powermag

Like most avid hunters, trappers and fishermen who grew up during the 60’s and 70’s, I looked forward every year to that encyclopedic outdoor catalog from none other than the famed Herters Company. Every new issue was reverently perused until it was nearly memorized. You wanted a particular top water bass plug, a hunting knife, or perhaps a dozen #2 coil spring fox traps I could have turned to their respective pages in a heartbeat. It’s a shame I didn’t study my school work as diligently. By the time the next year’s edition rolled out the previous year’s catalog would be dog eared and tattered.

Some brief history on the Herter’s Powermag is in order. Herters imported the Powermags from a German company, J.P. Sauer and Sohn. They were offered in 357, 401 and 44 Magnum. The 401 was developed in 1961 and preceded the 41 Magnum by three years. You’re likely to hear adjectives like unsightly and ugly when someone describes the Powermag. I might go as far as homely but not ugly. That’s a bit harsh. The grip is a large flared version of the more common plow handle but I find it rather comfortable. I prefer Ruger’s Bisley grips to their standard grip and the Power mag, while shaped differently than the Bisley, offers a very hand filling grip. The Powermag, while unusual in appearance, is a well-made and strong gun.

A friend found mine for me while exploring some shops near his home. He called me with the contact information and shortly the 401 was on the way to Alaska.

Bullets were going to be a bit of a challenge. Bullets for the 40/10mm or the 38-40 will work but many do not have a crimp groove. And most are lighter than I like. I did find an Arsenal mold for a 40 caliber 200 grain SWC that looks like it was designed for the 401. It even drops out at .403 with is what I diameter I like for mine as it has a groove diameter of .402. I size bullets for the Powermag to .403 and they shoot very well. I thought I should have a couple of molds, one heavy and one light and had LBT turn out a four cavity 240 grain WLN and Mountain Molds made a nice three cavity 160 grain SWC. I haven't had a chance to test any of them yet. The 240 shoots really well and ought to be a great big game bullet.

I was fortunate through some diligent searching online to find a few hundred pieces of original 401 brass. Norma made the brass. It is possible to make it from 41 Magnum brass and I'll explain that in a following post. Dies are available from CH4D. You might luck into a set of RCBS or Herters dies. I have a set of Herters and CH4D dies and use a Lee 38-40 factory crimp (collet style) die.

I did resize some 41 Magnum bullets to .403 and they work fine. The crimp groove gets reduces a bit but they still crimp and load fine. I even resized some heavy 280 grain 41 bullets. They shot really well. I've been rambling too much. Here's a few pictures. All the targets were shot at 25 yards from a Ransom Rest.

My three Powermags, 357, 401 and 44.
[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Resized 41 Magnum bullets

Arsenal 200 grain 40 caliber SWC

An LBT 401 240 grain next to an LBT 45 caliber 340 grain.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.