Originally Posted by 280shooter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
it's just the flu, right?

Wonder if Utah has shut down religious services?

Condolences to Mr Garff's family and friends.

Geno

I keep seeing that phrase pop up. Is anybody really saying that it is just the flu? So far, the flu is ahead in the U.S. as far as deaths, by the way. 10 to 1, actually. Why no comments on every flu death?
The question that I have seen is whether the response has been justified by the threat. Is that not a legitimate question to ask?

Well, in a few cases I seem to remember it being referred to that or "just another cold virus" (which I believe it is rather closely related to in certain cases).

But as others have pointed out, the speed it's spreading in some areas, combined with the lack of antibodies in most folks exposed to it, are creating something not seen in modern times.

Sure, the flu "is ahead", but it started earlier and likely no one was even attempting social distancing. Maybe being more careful about hand washing and such, but not staying away from folks. Not to mention testing for "flu" is way more developed.

How many times have you been in a work or social environment with someone exhibiting flu symptoms but not given too much concern to them? How many times have you yourself perhaps gone to church, the rifle club meeting, work etc when you were "coming down with something"? Maybe work because you were out of sick leave or didn't want to use it for "just the flu"?

Every indication, to me at least, seems to point at this being a bit worse than the flu................but perhaps these somewhat extreme measures are having more of an effect than many think? And therefor the numbers seem to point to the flu being "ahead" at this point in time? Seems to me a lot of folks are not considering that.

I, for one, know that folks in my area are being much more careful than they would be during even a bad flu year. And, based on my background I'd say being careful is having a beneficial effect in regards to infection rates and therefor illness and mortality rates. Being careful has had the likely unintended consequences of crashing the economy due to PANIC! and folks not dealing with reality. Not to mention our economic structure that works on this quarter's numbers, not the long term.

Yep, it's just the flu or to put it in other terms I've heard, "the flu is worse". "The flu kills more people" and so on.

People don't comment on flu deaths because we're used to them as a society, accept the losses, have vaccines and treatment plans for it, and know the outcomes ........mostly.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?