Just got off the phone with one of my students ( a LEO) who is interested in purchasing a new and more traditional looking bolt action wood stocked rifle. He has an AR15 and this will be his first bolt action purchase. Told him that I'd start a thread here to see where other suggestions lead.

His budget is $1,000 give or take a few bucks. He has no plans to reload. He is looking for the MOST POTENTIALLY accurate factory rifle straight from the box using factory ammo along with getting the best possible rifle bang for the buck. He has handled a few rifles including mine. It can either have a monte carlo styled stock or a straight one. Overall rifle looks or aesthetics is really not a big priority. Open to a shiny claro stock or a plain jane one.

Cartridge? Open to just about everything for deer up to and including elk at the normal average hunting distances. Recoil will not affect this guy, so magnums are potential candidates. Open to action type, CRF or push feed, tang safety design or otherwise (2 position or 3), DBM or spring floor plate.

Along with a suggestion or two from me, his online research has led him to the following in no particular order of preference. We discussed the following.

Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe/Sporter
Bergara B14 Timber
Browning X bolt hunter (satin finish)
Winchester M70 Sporter
Ruger Hawkeye
Savage 110

I will take a poll after this thread winds down and then tell him what the general overall consensus was.

To get an accurate poll count, please post your top choice followed by your second choice, 3rd choice and so on down the line.

Ok gents!.... Have at it!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger