Originally Posted by elelbean
Anyone own a Remington Model Seven and would recommend them for still hunting the Northeast? I was looking at those Model Sevens in HS and would love one in .308. I've never owned a Rem rifle and heard the bolt doesn't lock however.
Think this would be an excellent woods rifle if I wanted to try something other than my 7600?

If you like the H-S stock, it might be worth buying. I don't like H-S stocks, so it isn't worth buying for me.

I don't think that factory specs Remington Sevens balance very well and if you need to take a follow up shot, it isn't going to be as quick as your 7600.

My New England hunting kit includes a 760 in 30-06 with the barrel cut to 20" that has been Cerakoted and an old Husqvarna with a mannlicher-style stock, also chambered in 30-06. Both of them have a neutral balance, which helps them come to the shoulder quickly and point like an upland game shotgun. For still-hunting in tight cover, I think that I'd rather have a 20 gauge Remington 870 with a short rifled barrel than almost any Remington Seven.