Originally Posted by cotis
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've bought some oil company stocks over the last couple of weeks, BP, XOM, and RDS-A & B. $20 oil isn't going to stay that way long so I grabbed some at the cheap prices.

RDS/a pay tax on dividends to the Dutch. I would stick with b shares.
Read recently that some missiles were intercepted over Saudi Arabia. A few direct hits would send oil sky high.
Hasbeen

Yes, if your in the US always buy RDSb not a. Unless your a European citizen you pay a 15% tax on a share dividends. b shares are from the British exchange and don't have the 15% dutch tax. I had to explain this to my broker a few weeks ago. He tried to buy me a shares because that's what he had just bought himself. I insisted on b shares.

Bb

Well sheit, this is good to know. I bought RDS/A shares on 3/18 for 22.45. Sitting on a 73% gain right now, but didn't know about the tax on dividends. Things were moving so quick that day I wanted to get money to work.

Your ok, if you plan to hold it long term watch for a day that a is more money than b. It's been that way a lot lately. Sell your a and immediately buy b. One the right day you'll pick up a few shares. The price of the 2 is always close so you still did the right thing getting in when you did. Unless you have to pay huge commissions like I did at ed jones.

I bought 1102 shares about that same day and sold it already when it hit close to 33. Wish I would have held it until today but I did pretty well. I'm not sure what to buy now. I got a large chunk over to fidelity so I can do much cheaper trades but I'm not sure what to buy.

Bb