Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Peep sight should help.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This plus remove your front sight hood. Its there to protect the sight, not to be shot with ( Hence the old moniker "quick Detachable hood")

You may also need to install a higher or lower front bead, and a flat faced bead is the best...keeps you from "shooting away from the light"

Actually the main function of the hood is to act as a sunshade, to stop or minimise the problem of shooting away from the light.

Personally though, I prefer a blade foresight, which doesn't need a hood (as long as it isn't shiny), on a hunting rifle. You can get versions with various white lines, white squares or fibre optic inserts too.

For the rear sight a peep is a good plan. There's a bit of a trade-off with the size of the peep: a smaller hole gives you better depth of field, and thus a sharper image, but at the cost of needing more light and perhaps being a mite slower. Thus if your interest is in hunting you will usually be better off with a big ghost ring, but for shooting inanimate targets in good light you might do rather better with a smaller insert screwed into the peep. A good number of peep sight units allow you to screw in an insert for targets/zeroing, and then simply remove it leaving the hole into which it fits to use as a ghost ring.

After I bought a used Marlin 336C 30-30, I took it to the local gun club to sight it in. While there some members came by to see what I bought and I told them I am going to get rid of the front sight hood so I can see the target better. A couple of the old seasoned shooters told me it functions as a sunshade for the reason as stated above. So I listened to my elders.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sights were a little bit fuzzy so later I consulted with fire member eyeball, aka jaguartx and he advised starting out with 1:50 cheaters. That did the trick.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime